This posting has expired and applications are no longer being received and this job does not show up on the main job list.
|Nov 30, 2023
E-Learning & Curriculum Specialist
Western University delivers an academic experience second to none. Western challenges the best and brightest faculty, staff and students to commit to the highest global standards. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western attracts individuals with a broad worldview, seeking to study, influence and lead in the international community. Since 1878, The Western Experience has combined academic excellence with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social and cultural growth in order to better serve our communities.
Student Experience fosters equitable learning environments in which all students can thrive to their full potential. Through our commitment to integrating research, theory, and practice across all of the programs, resources, and supports we provide, Student Experience leads an ecosystem of people, places, and spaces that empower student thriving. Our vision is for all Mustangs to discover their personalized pathway through Western’s rich, wholistic learning environment; engage in brave conversations with our diverse community on and off campus, and develop the skills and courage to be uncomfortable without fear of failure in order to thrive throughout their degree and after graduation.
Reporting to the Director, Assessment & Planning, the eLearning and Curriculum Specialist will be responsible for coordinating the introduction and continuous improvement of co-curricular eLearning experiences offered through Student Experience. The role will consult with staff to translate and transform programs, resources, and supports offered across the entire Student Experience portfolio into effective and engaging digital courses. The eLearning and Curriculum Specialist will research and identify best practices in learning technologies, UDL, and student engagement, and support the design and re-design, development, and implementation of online and blended learning experiences. The role will enhance opportunities for experiential learning and engagement utilizing multi-media technology and authoring tools to support and improve the design of courses, in alignment with teaching and learning theories/principles, evidence-based pedagogy, quality standards and assessment of student learning. The role will provide technical expertise and knowledge by coordinating projects, providing support for various equipment, and overseeing Learning Management Systems
- Undergraduate Degree in Education, Instructional Design, Educational technology or related field
- Master’s degree, Education, Instructional Design, Educational technology or related field preferred
- 3 years’ experience with eLearning applications in an eLearning or Instructional Design role
- Experience developing online training, courses and eLearning materials
- Experience applying universal design for learning principles in an online learning environment
- Experience in a higher education institution developing and implementing eLearning solutions is preferred
- Experience designing applications in a learning environment preferred
- Experience with assessing student learning outcomes in an online learning environment is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of student development theories and their application with skills in developing instructional resources and activities
- Knowledge of the educational literature, including online learning, instructional design (e.g. theories, models, best practices), and student learning
- Demonstrated knowledge of eLearning principles, strategies and tools and instructional design methods to deliver instructional programs and courses suited to an online learning environment (e.g. Universal Design for Learning (UDL) frameworks, learning/course management systems, Adobe projects, lecture capture, editing software) and their pedagogical appropriateness for teaching, learning and online course delivery
- Familiarity with the best practices in course design, development and evaluation
- Expertise in web and graphic design software and video production and photography, as well as social media channels relevant to student populations
- Ability to research, evaluate and advise on the viability of new technologies and innovations in eLearning
- Ability to adapt to change and master new technical and organization concepts and processes
- Ability to collaborate across internal and external boundaries to meet common objectives, improve outcomes and support work beyond one's own unit
- Communication skills to describe technical concepts effectively to both novice and sophisticated users
- Ability to write clear, concise and accurate technical and procedural documentation
- Ability to apply critical thinking to evaluate information and make appropriate decisions or recommendations
- Ability to understand customer needs and expectations and provide excellent customer service to directly and indirectly satisfy expectations
- Ability to remain highly motivated, resilient, innovative, and collaborative when faced with challenges
- Computer skills with the ability to creatively use and integrate technology to improve quality and productivity
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office and software and applications related to eLearning and instructional design (e.g. OWL, Camtasia, Captivate, Adobe Photoshop, Articulate 360, Cascade Content Management System)
- Negotiation and influencing skills to effectively advocate needs and maintain relationships
- Proven ability and natural inclination to develop relationships by interacting with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Learn more and Apply