Full Stack Web Developer
Voices is the #1 Voice Marketplace.
We’ve helped tens of thousands of marketers, producers, instructors, and creative directors at the world’s biggest and most beloved brands find the right talent for their creative projects.
Headquartered in London, Canada, Voices matches clients with voice over, music, audio production, and translation professionals in over 160 countries.
We are looking for someone to work in our web development team to help improve and extend our product. They should be someone who can work well with teams of other developers, designers, and product managers. We are looking for a person with an established track record of full stack web development experience who can help design technical solutions, code end-to-end applications, communicate their ideas, and learn from others.
If that sounds like you, we’d love to talk to you.
About the position:
- The position is permanent, full-time. We're open to developers with several years of practical team experience. Variety of work is appreciated.
- The Voices team is located in London, Ontario Canada, but you could be elsewhere in Canada.
- You will work on the Voices web UI, backend controls, APIs & app logic, special architecture projects, and everything in between. PHP and vanilla JS (and sometimes Node.js) are our primary languages. Familiarity with modern PHP & JS is a bonus.
- You should be able to help plan team sprints and projects through estimation and cooperative research.
- You will have the opportunity to develop new features and find ways to improve the product. Sometimes these features will span multiple teams for an all-hands approach.
- You will also handle internal support conversations, investigate trouble tickets, and contribute to occasional infrastructure projects.
Typical tasks in the life of a Developer at Voices:
- Building customer-facing and internal user interfaces with CSS from LESS/SASS, HTML & JS.
- Creating and extending an MVC application using PHP frameworks (CodeIgniter, Laravel) and occasional scripts. Other technologies also play a role.
- Applying your knowledge of accessibility standards (AODA, WCAG) and site security (OWASP) to improve life for our users.
- Testing your work for performance and bottleneck improvements.
- Building or extending our internal APIs and 3rd-party integrations (Salesforce, S3, SQS, and other AWS services).
- Working with multiple Git branches, writing and reviewing Pull Requests (BitBucket), and pushing production-level code regularly and on a schedule.
- Help prepare the test and release plan for your work by creating DB migration scripts and collaborating with the testing team.
- Helping to maintain our internal component library & design system, and contribute to build scripts (Gulp, Webpack, Babel).
- Building new product pages and functionality for our website and documenting projects (Confluence).
- Writing and updating technical documentation and requirements.
- Reviewing and triaging support conversations. Fixing bugs and following up with our Product and Support teams.
- Collaborating via Slack, Figma, and regular video or in-person chats.
- You want to ship regularly. Your passion is to build end-to-end software. You always want to improve and learn.
- You understand the importance of quality code. Your code is documented, understandable and predictable. Tests are written with confidence.
- You can explain your thinking. You are able to communicate your ideas or issues well.
- Your goal is to build for everyone. You are skilled in developing front-ends from scratch to create valid, reusable, performant, and accessible pages at all screen sizes.
- You are self-motivated and can work independently. You take the initiative to make sure that you have everything you need and will call for support when required.
- You love learning. You thrive on solving problems, learning new tricks, bridging the gaps between new and old, and want to keep getting even better.
- You love sharing. Helping your team based on your experience is time well spent.
- You have 3+ years experience in database-driven web site development.
- You earned a BS or MS in Computer Science, Diploma in Web Development or have the equivalent work experience.
You will work with:
- Development Manager
- Technical Project Managers
- Product Managers
- Product Designers
- UX Researchers
- Product & Marketing Developers
- Infrastructure Developers
- Quality Assurance Team
Equal Employment Opportunities
Voices values diversity. We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability.
Voices is committed to providing accommodation for applicants with disabilities; please let us know if you require an accommodation during the recruitment process.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their cover letter and résumé by completing the online application. By doing so, your resume is guaranteed to be reviewed.
Voices thanks all candidates in advance. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.