We are Canada Life
Being a part of Canada Life means you have a voice. This is a place where your unique background, perspectives and talents are valued, and shape our future success.
You can be your best here. You’re part of a diverse and inclusive workplace where your career and well-being are championed. You’ll have the opportunity to excel in your way, finding new and better ways to deliver exceptional customer and advisor experiences.
Together, as part of a great team, you’ll deliver on our shared purpose to improve the well-being of Canadians. It’s our driving force. Become part of a strong and successful company that’s trusted by millions of Canadians to do the right thing.
Be your best at Canada Life.
We are looking for a Software Developer
The Software Developer will participate in all aspects of software development, maintenance, and integration within the Canada Life Corporate Technology division. The primary focus of this role is to support the functions related to Group Retirement Services systems including financial management and actuarial processing, automated batch jobs, user applications and more!
We currently have an opening for a developer working in a mixed technology environment, combining Microsoft based tools, C/C++, VBA, Oracle, SQL Server, and other technologies. This developer must collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team to enhance and support our systems.
What you will do
Software Developers are responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of software solutions.
This role involves the following activities:
- Design, develop, integrate, test, transition to production, and maintain software applications
- Provide production support, application monitoring, and tuning for applications
- Participate in project planning
- Provide input into the evolution of the software development environment and methods
- Provide technical leadership within your areas of expertise
This role also involves these additional specific activities:
- Provide ongoing daily production support as part of a rotation for monitoring incidents
- Implement enhancements to existing software including solution design, work breakdown and estimation, deploying the changes and warranty support
- Able to organize work tasks and coordinate with other team members
- Verbal and written communication required with other team members
- Trouble shoot application problems, then document and maintain an inventory of expertise for identified problems
- Handle multiple priorities when required
- Provide feedback into our software development best practices
- Occasional after hours and weekend work will be required
What you will bring
- A degree or diploma in computer science or a related discipline or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Training, knowledge and experience with the following:
- Software design methodologies and proper documentation procedures
- Software requirements analysis and design principles
- Agile team experience, especially related to Scrum or Kanban practices
- Understanding of technical environments and their infrastructure including servers, networks, and security
- Quality assurance techniques and automated testing practices
- Can develop in one or more of the following languages or tools:
- VBA / .NET
- SQL Server
- Oracle DB
- Windows servers
- Unix servers
- Strong debugging and investigation skills
- Automate DevOps processes through Bamboo or other scripted solutions
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Plan and organize software development work
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing, in person or through remote sessions
- Previous experience with ServiceNow and Jira would be considered an asset
Be your best at Canada Life- Apply today
Apply for this job online