Hardware Services Technician (C1435)
Reports to the Manager Computer Centre and Hardware Services or designate. Provides for hardware repair, evaluation and general software support to all users of Corporate Technology assets. Operates all computer hardware and systems related to the effective operations of the Technology Services Division.
- Installs, maintains, provides for software efficiencies through scripting proficiencies & streamlining and operates all backup and recovery applications for the corporation’s electronic data.
- Implementation and maintenance of the specialized fiber/copper backup network.
- Installation, setup and maintenance of automated reporting systems to alert staff of potential problems and bottlenecks in order to decrease downtime.
- Assume role of the Service Desk daily in order to extend the hours of support to staff.
- Responsible for all aspects of Computer Operations which include transfer of all electronic data to and from financial institutions, Provincial and Federal government agencies and 3rd party vendors. Responsible for developing manuals and writing code to effectively use the data from outside agencies and perform all application batch processing.
- Evaluate, recommend, setup, implement, move, diagnose and repair technology assets at all corporate locations. Ensure all hardware, software and related technology is functioning properly. Ensure users are aware of ergonomics in use of equipment and make suggestions to alleviate issues.
- Install, configure, certify and troubleshoot all premises wiring for the corporations data and voice communications.
- Provide functional guidance and training to staff and elected officials regarding the use of corporate hardware and software technologies.
- Provides guidance, training and support to staff, elected officials and members of the public in the proper use of corporate Audio/Visual equipment during presentations to Council, Board of Control, Boards and Commissions. Will be required to be onsite for long periods of time as a technical resource during meetings of high impact.
- Maintain a complex inventory system for all corporate technology assets.
- Instructs and advises Project Team members and Co-op students on matters related to assignments.
- Participates in Departmental and outside agency priority reviews, project scheduling, and makes recommendations regarding automation and long term planning.
- Assists with plans, schedules and coordination of requests for technology and ensures the effective and efficient selection, installation, implementation and ongoing use of the same. Responsible for effective execution of assigned projects.
- Provides input towards the development and administration of standards and guidelines (for feasibility studies, data security and integrity methods, systems analysis, systems design, programming, training programs, user developed applications etc.).
- Introduces new ideas towards the development of work plans.
- Performs research, evaluation, review and assessment of hardware and/or software products and recommends changes.
- Maintains a current knowledge of business technology, through continuous formal and self-learning programs and methods.
- Must keep current certifications that are required for administration of corporate backup systems and maintain a multi vendor warranty site.
- Install and maintain hardware and software technologies that enable 24x7x365 monitoring of data centre, communications rooms and technology storage facilities.
- Liaises with third party vendors, Provincial or Federal agencies, internal and external personnel, auditors, and other computer sites regarding business solutions.
- Access to, and/or maintains passwords and User rights to selected areas of Corporate systems as assigned by management ensuring confidentiality of information accessed through use of such passwords.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Three year Community College Computer Systems Technology Diploma.
A minimum of three years related experience.
Specialized Training & Licenses
Valid Driver’s License – Class G.
A+ and/or Server+ Certification.
Industry designations and/or courses on specific products may be required (ie HP APS and Legato Administrator).
Compensation and Other Information
$56,941 - $82,736 (Level 14)
This is a permanent position being filled on a temporary basis for up to 2 years.
Current hours of Work: Monday - Friday from 8:30am - 4:30pm
These hours of work are subject to change in accordance with the Collective Agreement and may include evening hours and Saturdays.
NOTE: Applicants may be required to complete a job related test.
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need.