Software Developer - Mainframe
We are Canada Life
Being a part of Canada Life means you have a voice. This is a place where your unique background, perspectives and talents are valued, and shape our future success.
You can be your best here. You’re part of a diverse and inclusive workplace where your career and well-being are championed. You’ll have the opportunity to excel in your way, finding new and better ways to deliver exceptional customer and advisor experiences.
Together, as part of a great team, you’ll deliver on our shared purpose to improve the well-being of Canadians. It’s our driving force. Become part of a strong and successful company that’s trusted by millions of Canadians to do the right thing.
Be your best at Canada Life.
We are looking for a Software Developer - Mainframe.
The Software Developer will participate in all aspects of software development and maintenance within the Global Corporate Technology unit. The primary focus of this role is to develop, maintain and support the functions related to Corporate Finance and Treasury but will expand as requirements change.
We currently have an opening for a developer working on mainframe tools (primarily PL/1, DB2, JCL, etc) as well as utilizing other tools such as ServiceNow and MoveIT.
What you will do:
Software Developers contribute to the design and development of software solutions.
This role involves the following activities:
- Design, develop, integrate, test, transition to production, and maintain software applications
- Provide production support and application monitoring and tuning for applications
- Participate in project planning
- Provide input into the evolution of the software development environment and methods
- Working with other developers and analysts in support and maintenance tasks
This role also involves these additional specific activities:
- Provide ongoing daily production support and remediation of business applications within the Corporate line of business – including the development and execution of test plans
- Participate in the rotation for monitoring incidents
- Contribute to the elimination of problems through permanent fixes including the identification of solutions, scoping the work, and executing the changes
- Task management for themselves
- Complete scheduled maintenance, legislative changes and changes required to optimize and streamline the existing application inventory
- Participate in trouble shooting application problems, and maintain an inventory of expertise for identified problems
- Complete development assignments as required
- Create and/or update software development best practices
- Liaise and provide consulting support for applications to project teams
- Occasional after hours and weekend work will be required
What you will bring:
- Degree/diploma in related discipline (computer science) or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Training or knowledge and experience with:
- Software design methodologies and documentation tools
- Software requirements analysis and design principles
- Technical infrastructure environments including servers, networks and security
- Quality assurance and testing of mainframe and/or server and desktop based applications
- One or more of the following application development environment languages and tools: Mainframe tools such as PL/1, DB2, and JCL.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve problems
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team, plan and organize your own work, communicate effectively in writing and verbally in person or remotely, initiative, and attention to detail