Game Programmer II – Magic: The Gathering Online
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada at the time of application. Candidates must have one of the following to be eligible for consideration – Canadian Citizenship, valid Permanent Resident status, valid Protected Person status or a valid open Work Permit.
Big Blue Bubble is seeking a skilled, motivated, and talented Game Programmer II who is also a fan of Magic: The Gathering. This is a unique opportunity to combine your passion for the MTG global franchise with your strong network/server programming skills as this role is accountable for helping to improve all areas of technology for Magic: The Gathering Online.
In this position, these are the things you will be responsible for:
- Designing and implementing solutions for Magic: The Gathering Online in alignment with architectural designs and program needs, including data management, card parsing, game rules engine, supporting tools, and client integration.
- Investigating, analyzing, and responding to issues as they arise in a live service.
- Performing literate programming, using adequate commenting and documentation tools to deliver readable and maintainable code.
- Adopting industry standard and team-specific coding practices.
- Communicating trade-offs, risks, and alternate solutions for proposed features and functionality.
- Seeking out opportunities to improve the development process and suggest solutions.
- Contributing to continuous improvement through code reviews, collaboration on technical designs, documentation, and test coverage.
To be an effective team member, you will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience.
- 7 years of experience creating and shipping software.
- 5 years working with C#/.NET.
- Client-server experience focused on reliability and security.
- SQL Server or other experience with production relational databases is highly preferred.
- Experience working with and improving large, legacy systems.
You also have the following attributes:
- Ability to quickly learn and master new skills.
- Ability to quickly become familiar with large code bases with little direction.
- A clear communicator.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Comfortable working in a team.
- Enthusiastic about gaming culture.
We know the above list is a lot. You don’t have to fill every single point. We each bring our own respective strengths to the table. Let us know which of the above is you and get in touch with us now to explore the opportunity further!
Big Blue Bubble is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from queer, transgender, Indigenous, BIPOC, d/Deaf and disabled applicants. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments – if you require accommodations at any point in the application or recruitment process please submit them in confidence to email@example.com.
What makes our studio so exceptional:
- Flexible hybrid work schedule providing a mix of in-office and remote work days.
- Inclusive studio culture that fosters strong collaboration and support amongst its team members.
- Smaller scope projects which provide multifaceted opportunities to build skills and try new things.
- Strong focus on work-life balance with minimal overtime.
- In-office barista and full kitchen to host daily popcorn, ice cream days and food events.
- Unique and frequent team-building and social events (pi day, office olympics, escape rooms, gaming tournaments, movie days and so much more).
- Gaming consoles and other in-office equipment (arcade machine, devices and massage chair).
- Paid game fund, so you can continue to expand your industry knowledge.
- Comprehensive benefits package and annual bonuses.
- Paid time off, sick days, wedding leave, and baby leave.
- Focus on giving back to our community through events such as Extra Life.
- Variety of internship placements where students quickly see the impact of their work.
- Part of the EG7 global gaming cooperative that is comprised of several companies that specialize in video game entertainment such as Daybreak Games, Piranha Games, Antimatter Games, Toadman Studios, Petrol, and Fireshine Games.
Be Aware of Fraudulent Recruiting Activities
Big Blue Bubble would never ask an applicant for their social insurance number, date of birth, bank account information or other sensitive information in job applications. We would also never ask applicants to provide payment during the hiring process or extend an employment offer without conducting a phone, live video or in-person interview.
To learn more about Big Blue Bubble, click here.