at Digital Extremes (View all jobs)
London, Ontario or Remote
ABOUT THIS POSITION
Digital Extremes is currently seeking a Level Designer to join our team. You will be responsible for creating and implementing spectacular character-based levels and ultra-fun gameplay mechanics. You will need to be able to demonstrate your solid knowledge of game editors and have previous experience working on AAA titles. Knowledge of Lua or other scripting languages would be an asset.
- Follow the level design pipeline from "pen & paper" designs to implement spectacular character based levels and ultra-fun gameplay mechanics
- Work and iterate on all facets of Level Design including (but not limited to) live documentation, CSG blockouts, terrain sculpting, prop placement, NPC navigation, and gameplay scripting
- Work closely with layout artists to ensure the artistic vision for levels is upheld alongside the gameplay and player flow, while maintaining excellent game performance
- Collaborate with the Technical Design team to define and refine gameplay mechanics
- Follow the direction of the Lead Level Designer and game directors to maintain gameplay vision consistency
- Master internal editor tools for building environments and integrating gameplay
- Contribute to the general game design, as well as cooperate with all other aspects of game production (programming, environment art, sound, effects, lighting, animation, etc)
- Creatively resolve gameplay and production issues to meet production schedules and internal deadlines
- Multitask effectively, prioritize competing demands, and follow through on details
- Solid knowledge of game editors
- Previous experience working on AAA titles
- Demonstrated ability to work self-directed when necessary
- Ability to meet tight deadlines in our fast-paced environment
- Aptitude for learning new software tools
- Possess exemplary oral and written communication skills
ABOUT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Founded in 1993 by James Schmalz, Digital Extremes ranks as one of the world's top independent video game development studios. Originating with the co-creation of Epic Games' multi-million unit selling Unreal® franchise including Unreal and Unreal Tournament, Digital Extremes went on to develop Dark Sector®, BioShock® for the PlayStation®3, the BioShock 2 multiplayer campaign, and The Darkness® II. The studio has reached its greatest critical and commercial success with the free-to-play action game, Warframe®, boasting a global community of 50 million registered players on PC, PS4™, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch™. Newer projects include the recently launched cross-platform MMORPG Wayfinder® (developed by Airship Syndicate & published by Digital Extremes), as well as the highly anticipated Soulframe®, an in-development open-world action-fantasy title.
Digital Extremes is headquartered in London, Ontario, Canada, and is proud to be selected as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, achieving this recognition for the last nine years in a row.
For more information and exciting news related to Digital Extremes, please visit www.digitalextremes.com.
WHY WORK AT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Our culture is centered on providing great opportunities to our employees so that everyone feels they are making a meaningful impact. Developing new and existing talent is our long-term focus. We are honored that our work environment has been consistently recognized as one of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers”. We summon you to join our elite team!
The rewards of a career with Digital Extremes include:
- Competitive salary with bonus opportunities
- Excellent benefits and paid time off
- Matching RRSP plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Virtual access to Dialogue, our mental wellness and healthcare services app
- Professional development and career support
- Work-life balance fitness subsidies
- Be part of “Giving Back” through a multitude of fundraising venues at DE
- Virtual events such as team building exercises, Games night, Live band performances, Adult and separate children’s holiday and summer parties for global teams!
Digital Extremes is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for the next steps in the hiring process will be contacted.