External Title : Senior Database Administrator - PostgreSQL
Location: Anywhere in Canada, Remote
Reporting To : Manager - Database Administration
As a part of a technical team, the Senior DBA role is focused more on automating workload with repeatable and consistent processes leveraging appropriate tools. Builds should be scripted as much as possible, and these scripts are managed in a source control system. You will design, implement, administer, and maintain databases including monitoring, backup and recovery procedures, performance tuning and implementing database change management. This role requires strong familiarity with both PostgreSQL and MySQL database systems on Linux/Unix based environments. The person promotes teamwork between Development and Operations teams. The Senior DBA ensures principals with data design, stewardship and acts as a data guardian.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the management and operations of PostgreSQL deployments
- Works in partnership with development resources to code, test, and implement database solution according to best standard
- Coordinate physical changes to relational and non-relational databases
- Work with case tracking tools (i.e. JIRA, ServiceNow, Summit etc.)
- Design logical and physical databases, review database design to understand how changes to be made would affect physical database (how data is stored in terms of physical characteristics, such as location, amount of space, and access method)
- Establish physical database parameters, codes database objects/queries and specifies database identifiers to DBMS or guide others in coding best practices
- Specify user access level for each segment of one or more data items, such as insert, replace, retrieve
- Tests and corrects errors (i.e. queries, views, stored procedures/functions, triggers etc.), and refine changes to database configuration
- Ensure that database systems are available, secure, and that
- production support procedures are well documented
- Leverage scripting and automation technologies to improve speed of delivery (i.e. GIT, Ansible)
- Other duties as required by the position
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
- A degree or diploma in Computer Science or equivalent technical education
- 5+ years’ experience in PostgreSQL
- 5+ years’ experience in any of the relation/traditional/SQL database technologies (i.e. MySQL, MSSQL Server, Postgres, Oracle etc.)
- Familiarity with other non-relational database technologies (i.e. Cassandra, Solr) will be a huge plus
- Hands-on expertise with performance tuning, high-availability (HA) and data warehousing
- Experience with Data modeling tools
- Experience with developing stored procedures/queries/triggers/views etc. using various SQL scripting languages
- Expertise with Windows/Linux Operating Systems and cloud hosting providers (Azure/AWS etc.)
- Automation and configuration management tools
- Backup and recovery
- Security and Monitoring applications
- Knowledge of development process, tools and technologies
J.D. Power is a global leader in consumer insights, advisory services and data and analytics. A pioneer in the use of big data, artificial intelligence (AI) and algorithmic modeling capabilities to understand consumer behavior, J.D. Power has been delivering incisive industry intelligence on customer interactions with brands and products for more than 50 years. The world's leading businesses across major industries rely on J.D. Power to guide their customer-facing strategies.
J.D. Power is clear about what we do to ensure our success into the future. We unite industry leading data and insights with world-class technology to solve our clients’ toughest challenges.
At J.D. Power, we strive to be Truth Finders, Change Makers and Team Driven - the distinct behaviors that, together, define our unique culture.
Truth Finders - At J.D. Power, we are proud of the unbiased data and findings we provide. As individuals, each and every member of our team is dedicated to living this same objectivity and embodying the highest ethical and professional standards – the only ‘favorite’ we have is the truth.
Change Makers - At J.D. Power, we never stand still. We constantly seek better ways – innovating and evolving in everything we do to support our colleagues and our clients alike – and all in service of delivering data and insights that drive meaningful business impact.
Team Driven - At J.D. Power, we are one team and we are activated. Regardless of individual role, every member of our team is dedicated to supporting their immediate colleagues and our broader J.D. Power family to deliver on our collective purpose and make us greater than the sum of our parts. At J.D. Power, these values are more than words. We bring these values to life throughout our organization through our employee event series — J.D. Power Values Days. Each quarter, we celebrate one of our core values and hold an annual event to celebrate our combined values at the end of the year.
We are dedicated to leveraging comprehensive and equitable practices which contribute to the overall success of the company and its employees. We invite you to learn more about our DE&I efforts.
J.D. Power is an equal opportunity employer and compliant with AODA/ADA legislation. If you require accommodations during the recruitment and selection process, please specify.
To all recruitment agencies: J.D. Power does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Apply for this Job