This posting has expired and applications are no longer being received and this job does not show up on the main job list.
||Sep 17, 2023
Game Designer (NOC 52120)
Remote in Ontario, Canada
The Game Designer (NOC 52120) will be responsible for the core user experience of the game including user interface, main character locomotion and combat, enemy locomotion and AI, mini-games and all co-op related gameplay. This incumbent will possess exceptional communication skills in written, visual and verbal forms, and excellent knowledge of the video game industry. Strong ability to take constructive criticism while selling your ideas is critical. Giving direction will be as important as taking it and you must be able to drive implementation of your ideas. We need a team player who values the best ideas regardless of where they come from to create a clear picture of how they fit in the larger vision of the game. An ideal candidate will also be able to provide examples of your design work and communication skills.
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT
Permanent and full time (40 hours per week).
LANGUAGE OF WORK
LOCATION OF WORK
The Game Designer position can either be based at our office in 250 York Street, Suite 100, London, Ontario N6A 6K2 Canada or remotely in Ontario, Canada with periodic visits to our office in 250 York Street, Suite 100, London, Ontario N6A 6K2 Canada.
- Responsible for the core user experience of the game, including user interface, main character locomotion and combat, enemy locomotion and AI, mini-games and all co-op related gameplay.
- Work to help deliver the creative vision for the game.
- Fully understand the product goals and creative vision for the game.
- Own individual areas of the game design to document and communicate them.
- Build relationships on the development team to facilitate idea generation and feature implementation.
- Be an expert on gaming trends and have your finger on the pulse of the audience.
- Transition to a hands-on testing and tuning role late in the project to deliver the best possible game.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum 4 years game industry experience of which 3 years has been in a Game Designer-level capacity.
- Shipped a minimum of 1 title in a gameplay designer capacity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent team work skills.
- Proven ability to document and communicate design ideas.
- Excellent knowledge of the video game industry.
- Be a driven individual who has a proven track record of delivering projects on time.
- Minimum post secondary diploma in graphic design, engineering or a related discipline.
- A portfolio that’s idiosyncratic enough to show us who you are and what you care about.
- Experience in working with Maya to block out levels to playable quality.
- Experience in working with Lua or other scripting languages is preferred.
The wage range for the Game Designer (NOC 52120) position is between CAD $80,000 and CAD $100,800 per year, based on work experience and qualifications.
Digital Extremes provide a competitive benefits package, including the following:
ABOUT DIGITAL EXTREMES
- Extended healthcare.
- Two weeks of paid vacation per year.
- Discretionary profit sharing bonus, based on meeting the company’s financial targets and individual performance.
- RRSP matching plan.
Founded in 1993 by James Schmalz, Digital Extremes Ltd. ranks as one of the world’s top independent video game development studios. Originating with the co-creative of Epic Games’ multi-million unit selling Unreal® franchise including Unreal and Unreal Tournament, Digital Extremes went on to develop Dark Section®, BioShock® for the PlayStation®3, the BioShock 2 multiplayer campaign, and The Darkness® II.
The studio has reached its greatest critical and commercial success with the free-to-play action game, Warframe®, boasting a global community of 50 million registered players on PC, PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.
For more information about Digital Extremes, visit www.digitalextremes.com. To sign up for Warframe, visit www.warframe.com.
WHY WORK AT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Our culture is centered on providing great opportunities to our employees so that everyone feels they are making a meaningful impact. Developing new and existing clients is our long-term focus. We are honored that our work environment has been consistently recognized as one of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers”. We summon you to join our elite team!
The rewards of a career with Digital Extremes include:
- Competitive salary with bonus opportunities
- Excellent benefits and paid time off
- Matching RRSP plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Virtual access to Dialogue, our mental wellness and healthcare services app
- Professional development and career support
- Work-life balance fitness subsidies
- Be part of “Giving Back” through a multitude of fundraising venues at Digital Extremes
- Virtual events such as team building exercises, Game night, Live band performances, Adult and separate children’s holiday and summer parties for global teams!
Digital Extremes is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from people disabilities. Accommodation are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for the next steps in the hiring process will be contacted.
HOW TO APPLY
Please click “Apply Now” below to begin the application process. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Digital Extremes Ltd.
250 York Street, Suite 100
London, Ontario N6A 6K2 Canada