ABOUT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Founded in 1993, Digital Extremes has become an employer of choice for talented people seeking rewarding career opportunities in the gaming industry. We are widely recognized for creating the award-winning Warframe, a free-to-play, third-person coop, PVP action shooter, space ninja adventure game available on PC, PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo Switch. Our early titles include Epic Pinball, Solar Winds: The Escape, Unreal and Unreal Tournament co-created series (and all its iterations) as well as The Darkness II. With over 300 of the industry’s widely talented and culturally diverse employees in both Canada and the US, we are warriors combining our expertise to deliver superior fast-paced gameplay and intense melee combat all with a great deal of passion.
WHY WORK AT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Our culture is centered on providing great opportunities to our employees so that everyone feels they are making a meaningful impact. Developing new and existing talent is our long-term focus. We are honored that our work environment has been consistently recognized as one of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers”. We summon you to join our elite team!
The rewards of a career with Digital Extremes include:
- Competitive salary with bonus opportunities
- Excellent benefits and paid time off
- Matching RRSP plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Professional development and career support
- Fitness and parking/transit subsidies
- Daily lunches prepared onsite by our in-studio Executive Chef and professional kitchen staff
- All-day snacks and drinks, sleep pods, massage chairs, cold brew, dog therapy days and more
ABOUT THIS POSITION
Digital Extremes is currently seeking a Game Designer to join our team. You will be responsible for the core user experience of the game including user interface, main character locomotion and combat, enemy locomotion and AI, mini-games and all co-op related gameplay. You possess exceptional communication skills in written, visual and verbal forms. Strong ability to take constructive criticism while selling your ideas is critical. Giving direction will be as important as taking it and you must be able to drive implementation of your ideas. We need a team player who values the best ideas regardless of where they come from to create a clear picture of how they fit in the larger vision of the game. An ideal candidate will also be able to provide examples of your design work and communication skills.
- Work to help deliver the creative vision for the game
- Fully understand the product goals and creative vision for the game
- Own individual areas of the game design to document and communicate them
- Build relationships on the development team to facilitate idea generation and feature implementation
- Be an expert on gaming trends and have your finger on the pulse of the audience
- Transition to a hands-on testing and tuning role late in the project to deliver the best possible game
- 4+ years game industry experience of which 2+ has been in a Designer-level capacity
- Shipped a minimum of 1 title in a gameplay designer capacity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent team work skills
- Proven ability to document and communicate design ideas
- Excellent knowledge of the video game industry
- Be a driven individual who has a proven track record of delivering projects on time
- Background in art, design, or engineering is a plus
- Very comfortable working in Maya to block out levels to playable quality
- A portfolio that’s idiosyncratic enough to show us who you are and what you care about
- Familiarity with Lua or other scripting languages would be helpful
- The more titles you’ve shipped, the better
- 3+ years of experience in design or related roles would be great
Sample Work a Bonus: Exhibiting your design and communication skills with examples of written or visual design documentation will help us assess candidates.
Digital Extremes is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for the next steps in the hiring process will be contacted.
Please submit your application directly through our website: