Web Developer - Technical /Research Support II
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Western Science ranks among Canada's top ten Faculties of Science. With 1,215 faculty and staff, over eight departments and six centres, the Faculty of Science is dedicated to advancing the scientific frontier in order to address societal challenges. We work in collaboration with members of the local, national, and international community to inform decisions which impact on issues of environment and sustainability, to build industrial capacity through, for example, the development of multiple applications for big data, and to challenge existing boundaries by conceiving new materials and biomaterials.
The Web Developer will take direction from the Communications and Marketing Officer and performs functions such as coding, testing, and maintaining Western Science’s content management system (CMS), Cascade. The Web Developer will also provide first-level support for the Faculty of Science website and assist with the development of websites for members of the Faculty of Science.
The Web Developer will be responsible for three key topic areas including:
1) Website Redesign (redesign existing website, modern and responsive design, user-centric approach & feedback collection) + implement changes;
2) Content Management (content updates and accuracy; integration of multimedia);
3) Maintenance (functionality and performance monitoring; updates and improvements).
Other responsibilities include:
- Operationalizing all new content and reformatting existing pages to meet access legislation requirements
- Establishing a page-mapping guide to facilitate on-going management of/updating of the platform
- Producing a user update reference guide to identify content providers and timelines for mandatory content updates
- Liaising with various sources of content production, from members of faculty and staff to third-party contractors
- Producing quarterly quantitative and qualitative report regarding website updates and analytics
- 3 year Community College Diploma in a software development-related field
- University degree in computer science, software engineering or a related discipline is preferred
- 1 year of web application programming and CMS development experience in a business environment
- 2 years of web application programming and CMS development experience in a business environment
- Cascade development experience in a business environment
- Work experience in a higher education environment
Skills, Abilities & Expertise:
- In-depth knowledge of web technologies and tools including content management systems, and learning management systems
- Knowledge of industry standards and best practices of website programming techniques
- Working knowledge of current Internet technologies, including HTML and CSS including responsive web
- In-depth knowledge of programming languages, coding methods and best practices
- Computer skills with the ability to creatively use and integrate technology to improve quality and productivity
- Ability to effectively communicate (orally and in writing) and participate in business discussions
- Ability to write clear, concise and accurate procedural documentation
- Ability to provide solutions and ideas for improvement by using imaginative approaches where constructive thinking and innovation are required
- Ability to follow formal business practices with high attention to detail
- Ability to understand customer needs and expectations and provide excellent customer service to directly and indirectly satisfy expectations
- Problem solving skills with a sense of urgency in resolving issues and getting tasks completed
- Proven ability and natural inclination to develop relationships by interacting with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Ability to investigate and research issues and resolve problems
- Familiarity with project management tools and resources
Western offers a broad and exciting variety of part-time and temporary employment opportunities with ample room for job exploration and growth. Within our beautiful campus, you are part of a progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance including access to our state-of-the-art recreation centre. Apply for an opportunity to be part of the Western community and contribute to its success!
While transcripts are not required for the interview, they are mandatory prior to any offer of employment.
Applying at Western
To ensure that your application is given full consideration, please complete all relevant sections of the application. In addition, you can choose to supplement your application with a cover letter and current resume.
Consideration of applicants will include an assessment of previous performance, experience, and qualifications. Applicants should have oral communication skills in English.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
While trascrupts are not required in the application, they may be requested prior to offer of employment.
Learn more and Apply