Senior Graphics Programmer
ABOUT THIS POSITION
Digital Extremes is seeking a Senior Graphics Programmer to join our team. In this role, you will develop and maintain a fast 3D game engine that may involve working on graphics, gameplay and/or AI programming as well as porting to next-gen video game platforms. You will be required to write a robust, maintainable code while also collaborating with design, artists and other engagements to implement and fine-tune game features. You will need to be an expert in C++ with an ability to design efficient and intuitive code architecture for a large-scale game engine. You will also have strong communication skills. As an ideal candidate, we would also prefer if you have experience with console (next-gen preferred) as well as experience with concurrent programming. Familiarity with large-scale C++ project development, APIs (D3D, OpenGL, PhysX, DirectSound, DirectInput, Win32/GDI), Perforce, Perl, profiling tools (i.e. VTune, PIX, Tuner), assembly language and low-level systems are preferred extras.
- Develop and maintain a fast 3D game engine that may involve working on graphics, gameplay and/or AI programming as well as porting to next-gen video game platforms
- Write robust, maintainable code
- Collaborate with design, artists and other engineers to implement and fine-tune game features
- Ensure the technical quality and game-play of the product through tuning (rebuilding), bug fixing, and play-testing
- Contribute innovative and original ideas toward all aspects of the game’s production and development
- Maintain code performance through profiling and optimization
- Provide direction for the code architecture of a next-gen game engine
- Communicate well with the Producer, Artists, QA, and other engineers and ensure effective integration of game design, art and technology
- Collaborate with the entire team to create game-play friendly spaces, maximizing features within performance restrictions and fine-tuning the play experience
- Write clear technical design and specification documents
- Work closely with the Lead Programmer to fulfill the primary feature requirements of the game, and contribute to the team’s goal of reaching the project’s vision
- Encourage an open and free-thinking team atmosphere by accepting and providing direction and feedback to/from other team members
- Participate and engage with the entire production team to stay current on the scope and understanding of the project
- Participate with production and development, promoting creative thinking processes within the team and integrating their input to translate the game vision into gameplay reality
- Report to and deliver work on time and according to schedule as prepared by the Producer.
ABOUT DIGITAL EXTREMES
- Passion for making and playing great games
- Expertise in C++
- Must have 4+ years’ previous experience
- B.Sc. Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or equivalent game development experience.
- Strong communication skills, work ethic and motivation
- Ability to design efficient and intuitive code architecture for a large-scale game engine
- Willing to relocate to Canada
Founded in 1993 by James Schmalz, Digital Extremes ranks as one of the world's top independent video game development studios. Originating with the co-creation of Epic Games' multi-million unit selling Unreal® franchise including Unreal and Unreal Tournament, Digital Extremes went on to develop Dark Sector®, BioShock® for the PlayStation®3, the BioShock 2 multiplayer campaign, and The Darkness® II.
The studio has reached its greatest critical and commercial success with the free-to-play action game, Warframe®, boasting a global community of 50 million registered players on PC, PS4™, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch™.
For more information about Digital Extremes, visit www.digitalextremes.com. To sign up for Warframe, visit www.warframe.com.
WHY WORK AT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Our culture is centered on providing great opportunities to our employees so that everyone feels they are making a meaningful impact. Developing new and existing talent is our long-term focus. We are honored that our work environment has been consistently recognized as one of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers”. We summon you to join our elite team!
The rewards of a career with Digital Extremes include:
- Competitive salary with bonus opportunities
- Excellent benefits and paid time off
- Matching RRSP plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Virtual access to Dialogue, our mental wellness and healthcare services app
- Professional development and career support
- Work-life balance fitness subsidies
- Be part of “Giving Back” through a multitude of fundraising venues at DE
- Virtual events such as team building exercises, Games night, Live band performances, Adult and separate children’s holiday and summer parties for global teams!
Digital Extremes is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for the next steps in the hiring process will be contacted.