Senior Engineering Specialist (Secure Network)
We are maturing our Network Engineering team by embedding multiple security technologies to emerge into Secure Network. Our team consists of highly motivated, innovative, and tech-savvy engineers that evaluate, design, and deploy Secure Network technologies using agile delivery methods and automation.
We are looking for a Senior Engineering Specialist – Secure Network
The Senior Engineering Specialist is responsible for designing, deploying, and operationalizing new network and security technologies. He or she will also provide technical leadership by researching and conducting proof-of-concept on emerging technologies to determine business fit and promoting a mindset of continuous service improvement by conducting service health assessments.
What you will do
- Provides technical consulting on capabilities and limitations of network and security technologies
- Leads validation and practicality of new technologies through rapid prototyping
- Researches and evaluates technologies/products and make recommendations
- Tests and evaluates network and security technologies against established criteria
- Works with vendors to finalize detailed technical specifications for hardware and software
- Installs hardware and/or software in test and if need to in production environments
- Builds or enhances network and security technologies infrastructure components, and integrates 3rd party components, using standard tools (batch languages, programming languages, etc.)
- Unit and system test all technology deliverables, and supports business acceptance testing
- Implements all deliverables with the highest possible quality (that is, fewest implementation defects)
- Participates in the creation of project deliverables (estimates, schedules, risk assessments, etc.) as a project team member
- Makes design decision within the bounds established by project, portfolio, site and enterprise architectures
- Ensures that components are engineered in accordance with the use to which they will be put (for example, backups may need to be both reliable and high performing, but restores may only need to be reliable)
- Contributes to creation and maintenance of network and security technologies roadmaps
- Conducts technical health assessments of the network and security technologies
- Some travel maybe required
What you will bring
- A degree or equivalent education in a related discipline such as Computer Science, Business Computing, Engineering, or Commerce
- Minimum 7 years experience designing, integrating, and implementing end to end infrastructure, network and security solutions in a large organization
- Proven skills in designing and deploying multi-platform solutions
- Broad knowledge of industry technology and directions, and specific knowledge in network and security domains such as network technologies (LAN/WAN/WLAN, SDWAN, Load Balancers, DNS), IAM technologies, Cloud Computing, Automation, IPS/IDS, DDOS, Firewalls, WAF, VPN etc.
- The incumbent should have skills and knowledge in capacity planning, disaster recovery planning, product/service lifecycles, service management and a strong focus on customer service
- Experience in performance tuning complex infrastructure solutions; knowledge of performance and monitoring tools will be an asset
- Attention to detail and effective planning and organizational skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated initiative (self-starter) with the ability to influence others
- Knowledge of Hybrid cloud environments and public cloud providers
- Proven history of both technical and non-technical “soft” skills
- Good working knowledge of ITIL practices and processes
- Strong leadership, communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills with demonstrated experience working in a team environment
- Strong desire to implement change and contribute to the organization’s vision
- Proven history of making appropriate decisions and recommendations
- Good knowledge of Agile, Dev Ops, and PM methodologies
What really sets you apart
- Expertise in network security (including but not limited to IPS/IDS, DDoS, WAF)
- Accreditation in Network and/or Security such as CCIE, CCNP, CISSP or equivalent
- Experience in Scripting / Automation
- Dev Ops or Agile Experience
Given the size and scope of our organization, we have the flexibility for this position to be located in the following head office locations: Toronto, London, Winnipeg.
Be your best at Canada Life- Apply today!
Being a part of Canada Life means you have a voice. This is a place where your unique background, perspectives and talents are valued, and shape our future success.
You can be your best here. You’re part of a diverse and inclusive workplace where your career and well-being are championed. You’ll have the opportunity to excel in your way, finding new and better ways to deliver exceptional customer and advisor experiences.
Together, as part of a great team, you’ll deliver on our shared purpose to improve the well-being of Canadians. It’s our driving force. Become part of a strong and successful company that’s trusted by millions of Canadians to do the right thing.
Canada Life serves?the financial security needs of more than 13 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and to creating an environment where every employee?has the opportunity to?reach their potential.
Canada Life would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.